Our Second RV

Knowing we needed a bigger RV in order to live in it, Bob started his search.  We knew we wanted a Class A Motorhome, and we like Winnebago very much so we thought we would stick with that.  I believe it was in January when Bob called me at the grocery store and said, ‘Drop what you are doing and come to PPL (a used RV/camper lot), I’ve found our Motor coach.  I was pretty confused because we really hadn’t looked yet, and it wasn’t a Winnebago, so I immediately checked out and went to see the motor home.  This Motorhome was a 2003 Monaco LaPalma, and it was in mint condition.  It had a GM Workhorse chassis with a GM V-8 engine.  They had put 50k+ miles on it but it didn’t look like they ever used it.  We had it checked out and bought it, and now we own two motor homes!!!  We put the other one up for sale and it didn’t take long to find just the right buyer.

The thing we loved about this coach was the kitchen area.  It had so much storage and I could fit all the appliances I wanted to take with us.  What was disappointing was the closet for clothes, and the upper storage cabinets above the couch and dining area.  They were just a little too short to fit certain things, but you make it work.  Being a 2003 model, we wanted to replace the carpet and flooring, but that was about it.  I did cover up some hideous border in the bathroom.  I don’t know where they get the decorators for motor homes, but some are really bad.  We had the kitchen faucet replaced as well, which turned out to be a nightmare.  After our mechanic checked things out, he suggested we get some work done on the manifold and since we were going to be a ways away from home we thought it would be a good idea.  We were able to take it on one weekend trip to work out the kinks before putting it in the shop.  Everything was happening so fast and all at once, we had the house being sold, stuff to pack up and haul to the ranch, items to sell, getting the coach all fixed, and we were running out of time.  When I finally got the coach back, I only had a couple of days to get transitioned into it.  I wore a path from my Mother’s house out to the coach trying to get the coach loaded and ready to leave.  We were running out of time, and had to be in the Tetons by early June.

Bob retired on May 11th, wrapped things up by 2:00 p.m. on May 15th, and we were finally headed out by 3:00 p.m.  Whew, what a whirlwind, but we are on the road!!


RED RV pic
Posted in


Share To Social Media